Latest Blog Posts

Dress Makeover DIY

This has got to be one of the easiest projects I have made to date. I'm a free spirit when it comes to my wardrobe, so I'm really drawn to messy patterns. The design aspect of this project really has no rules, and that's what I like most. Enjoy. 
supplies: cotton dress (I purchased mine on the sales rack at a local clothing store), fabric dye, masking tape, sponge brush.

 First, mix the fabric dye with water to dilute the colors. Next, place pieces of masking tape all over the dress in various patterns. I make vertical and horizontal stripes throughout the dress. Then, with the sponge brush, apply brush strokes all throughout the dress. Once I applied the dye, I started making brush strokes free handedly, but that part is totally up to you if you feel comfortable enough to do so. 

Once the dye dries, hand wash it and let it air dry. 

Comments

  1. This is such an awesome DIY!
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing print and it is a DIY that even I might be able to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is so easy, yet the pattern looks so unique and I love the colours you've used - got to try this some day!

    Charl x

    Awake + Make

    ReplyDelete
  5. The messy pattern looks pretty. It brings the plain white cotton dress to life.

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this seriously turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That came out really great!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fabulous, it's very Free People. Love your photos by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. COOL! Perfect DIY project. :D

    Cheers!
    Jess
    www.beingbarlow.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous job! :)

    http://cafecraftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an awesome little afternoon dress makeover. Really need to get around to doing some projects like this!

    -Jen
    yourstrulyjen.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. COOL! I've been dying to try indigo dye.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kinsey this is great! What an interesting way to redo a piece! I am going to have to make one for myself.
    Leah Faye
    a clover and a bee

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool! I want to do this. :)
    http://blog.lulalouise.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. That turned out really good! You're so creative Kinsey!

    -Jenna-
    mama daze blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect idea :)

    http://studyinviolet.blogspot.cz/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a fab idea and it looks awesome! I love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect! Makes the dress a hundred times more interesting. It's beautiful.

    http://passionblogi.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that is such an amazing idea! That looks so cool, I must try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant idea! I'm always looking for ways to up-cycle my old clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is awesome!! Easily looks like something you could buy in the store for a lot of $$.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you also make straight lines with this ?

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you have a question, please subscribe to the post via email so that you'll be notified once I've responded!

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove)